July 6, 2008

Last Sunday, when I got home from work, the kids were bugging to do something fun and Kyle mentioned a craving for Long John Silver’s. I was tired, but decided a short road trip might be in order (the closest 3 LJS are an hour away). I woke Jeff up and asked him if he wanted to go. He suggested that since my car has front end issues and his is long overdue for an oil change, not to mention the stupid check engine light, it probably wasn’t the best idea. I told him I would change the oil and look into the light. He said okay, so off I went. I recently acquired two ramps, thanks Mark, so the oil change took all of about 20 minutes. As I thought about the engine light, I remembered having difficulties getting the gas cap on properly the last time I got gas and not bothering to take the time to adjust it, so I figured that must be the problem. I was correct; the problem righted itself the next day.

So we set out for a ride. First we had to stop for coffee, chai, and money. As we were pulling into the bank parking lot, Jeff pointed out some little birds, so I stopped and Sarah and I each took a few pictures.

There are two juvenile killdeer in this photo, one on each end.

At first we saw one adult and two juvenile birds, but we kept hearing one crying. As we pulled around to the ATM, we noticed that another young bird had been run over and there was another adult crying and running over to nudge it with its beak, then running to the grass. Back and forth for quite some time as we watched. We went to the Starbucks next door almost a week later and there was still an adult there, in almost the same spot, sitting on the edge of the parking lot. There was no sign of the other 3, just the one, seemingly mourning the loss of its young. I read that both parents sit on the eggs, so I wonder if both raise the young as well. Perhaps one was the mother and the other the father. At any rate, it was quite sad.

We did have fun on our adventure though. We got Long John Silvers for lunch, watched a spectacular storm front move through, complete with lightening and rain. We stopped at a way cool hobby store, and checked out a fairly new Wegmans.

By the time we got home I had been up nearly 22 hours, so I fell into bed around 6:30 pm and didn’t get up until 7 am the following day. Boy did that feel GREAT!

One comment

  1. We used to have Kildeers in our lawn in Randolph. They could be so noisy, but were fun to watch. Too bad the city-dwellers weren’t able to convey the need to be super careful around cars…That really is sad. Those little ones look so tiny, too.

    Glad you had fun on your outing. I love unplnned journeys like that. They add so much fun to otherwose humdrum days!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: